We’ve said it before – custom framed art and treasured mementos make wonderful holiday gifts for family and friends.
In the spirit of the season, we’ve collected some of the best and most creative ideas for custom framed gifts and useful tips for hanging and display. Let your imagination run wild (or stop by the shop to discuss how we can help you create the perfect gift).
The Personal Touch
Custom framed art or photographs make a wonderful gift. What if you don’t have just the right piece of art? Not to worry – there are literally hundreds of things that can be framed to create a unique gift. Consider:
- Medals or badges
- Ticket stubs and programs
- Baptism or Christening gowns
- Handwritten heirloom recipes
Dried flowers, antique pocket watches, buttons, keys, coins – almost anything you can imagine can be framed. Still unsure? Additional ideas and inspiration can be found here and here.
Display Tips and Tricks
If you are lucky enough to receive a custom framed piece as a gift this holiday, keep the following tips and guidelines in mind as you plan where and how to hang your new treasure.
- The best height to hang your framed piece is eye-level with the center of the picture positioned between 56 – 60″ from the floor. If hanging one picture directly above another, treat the two as one large piece with the center point between them being 56 – 60″ from the floor.
- When hanging pictures above the bed or another piece of furniture leave 5 – 9″ of space between the top of the furniture piece and the bottom of the frame. This rule of thumb can be used for hanging art over a console or chest of drawers as well as a sofa or headboard.
You may also want to consider creating a gallery wall. When done right, a gallery wall can create a dramatic focal point and give your space a whole new look.
Perhaps you just don’t feel like following the traditional rules of hanging framed art? No problem – it is OK to break the rules once and awhile.